Friday 29 October 2010

The World's Smallest Violin

40k night comes around but once a week at the moment, usually meaning a game a week for all involved with someone else rotating in for two games. Last night it was my turn for two games and boy what mixed emotions were felt.

First up I played annihilation and was faced with a rather dangerous looking crimson fists list packing:

-the usual hammer drop pod full of sternguard 
-venerable dread [plasma cannon and heavy flamer]
-5 sniper scouts [with missile launcher]
-vindicator
-mechanised tactical squad with a librarian [illegally riding in the rhino i might add :P]

While I had:

2x 8 grey hunters [melta gun, wolf guard with power fist and combi melta]
2x rhinos
10x skyclaws [power fist, wulfen]
Rune Priest [Jaws, living lightning]
Wolf Priest [Jump pack, wolf tooth]
Wolf scouts x5 [meltagun, wolf guard with powerfist and combi melta],


I decided to attempt to nullify the usual infantry holocaust of the sternguard drop pod by keeping all of my non-mechanised infantry off-table, leaving the two rhinos full of grey hunters and a rune priest to take on the sternguard after they'd totalled my transports. This ultimately worked pretty well after only losing one rhino and the grey hunters managed to shoot down a few sternguard before mopping them up in close combat. Besides a few decent shots from the crimson fist gunline taking a steady toll on the grey hunters the early parts of the game were looking decent for me. I got pretty lucky finishing off the sternguard with one grey hunter pack in rob's turn, consolidating six inches towards his vindicator before hoofing it another six inches to within melta range. I managed one glance off two melta shots but thankfully rolled a 6 so it ended up being a wreck.... my lucky streak would soon run out.

As my skyclaws had jumped far enough into the field to make sure the vindicator was taken down they were left open to be driven at by the rhino full of tactical marines with an avenger wielding librarian. Needless to say much face melting was done leaving only the wulfen and the wolf priest standing. That was my hammer unit wrecked in one fell swoop so rather than try to take the tacticals down in combat i decided to risk a jump into nearby ruins to take on the far less numerous sniper scouts. The duo performed very well, killing all of the scouts but unfortunately the wulfen went down, leaving the wolf priest to mill around afterwards, unable to hurt the venerable dread, too scared to attempt charging the tactical marines and librarian with only one wound left and it seems massively incapable of planting a decent krak grenade onto the back of a rhino.

My wolf scouts came on hoping to add their fire to the nearby grey hunters and rune priest shooting at the tacticals. After a decent round of shooting i left them to follow the rhino, hoping to melta it down for one easy kill point.... weapon destroyed from two meltas, on the back, on a rhino and within melta range. Not so good.

While my scouts were failing to blast the rhino down my heroic full 8 man grey hunters squad with a wolf guard decided that enough was enough from the upstart librarian and his meagre tactical squad. After gunning a couple of them down with bolt pistols they charged into close combat, attempting to either wipe out the crimson fists or at least pin them, blocking any escape route to the rhino. Battle cries on their lips astartes met astartes with sharpened steel and the crimson fist tactical squad was overcome by sheer space wolf brutality. In my mind. The reality: I missed with about 60 percent of my attacks then only caused 5 wounds which were all saved. The tactical squad retaliated but failed to cause any damage. My power fist missed on all three swings. The only combatant to kill anything was the librarian who decapitated a single grey hunter. It was this kill that won the game as my grey hunters failed their leadership test with a woeful roll of 11 before being cut down in a sweeping advance by the tacticals. With my biggest squad gone i was left with a rune priest with 3 grey hunters in a rhino, my wolf priest milling around some ruins and four wolf scouts.

Next turn the combined fire of the dreadnought, the librarian using smite and the tactical squad killed off my wolf priest and flame grilled my scouts. My lonely remaining rhino reversed slowly into my corner, the rune priest ineffectively casting living lightning at the venerable dread while praying that the plasma cannon wouldnt melt the tank.

Final score:

Space Wolves: 4 kill points
Crimson Fists: 5 kill points

Dice karma be damned

No comments:

Post a Comment